Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Update : Laptop Bag

So I Collected all the grocery bags needed fr this project. Jenn and I had...disagreements about what bags to use, in what colors, show logos or don't etc. Eventually I caved and decided that since it's going to be her bag, it should be something she wants to carry around.

So here's my process;




We collected a number of bags from the same establishment, so they would have a uniform color across the piece. Jenn picked Fresh and Easy because the khaki will match well with her outfits. I dunno. Personally I despise khaki, or neutrals in general. In my opinion, if you're going to do something, do it big and flashy. But that's me and this isn't my bag. So khaki it is.

We also bought some wax paper for this project. I already had the tiny ironing board. I think I brought it back from Japan.


I then cut the handles and tabs from the top...



...and the seam from the bottom. at this point I turned the bag inside out to keep the ink from the logo from melting to the paper or the iron. I forgot to turn one during this project, it was very messy.



Then I folded the bag once,


twice to create an 8-ply plastic sheet.



Once the bag is prepared, I sandwiched it between 2 pieces of wax paper,



  like so.

Ironed the paper on medium for approximately 30 seconds per side. I spaced and forgot to flip a few of them, so I just ironed those longer, but the end result is much better if you iron both sides. When the layers of plastic didn't melt in the beginning, I realised I had the iron set too low, and remedied that issue.



 

After that I just peeled off the wax paper and let them cool (takes just a few seconds to cool off, so I had to be quick. )


There they are. I did much more than I needed, in case any failed or I screw up later down the line.

Next on this project, I sew the plastic sheets into the external layer of the laptop bag. Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment