Wednesday, April 7, 2010

New Project : bookcase/desk refinish

Jenn has a 2 piece desk with book shelves that she's had since she was a kid. She loves them but they take up a lot of space and don't really belong anywhere in the house. Plus they aren't very nice looking. Every time I suggest getting rid of them and getting something more space conscious or modern, we end up in an argument. She's convinced that they are nice hardwood furniture, "because they're so old and heavy". My contention was that if it WERE hardwood, the paint needs to be stripped and the bookcases stained, and if they were NOT, then we should be looking for something nicer.

Once I took my dremel and wore away some of the cream-colored paint and showed her the particle-board underneath, we compromised. I get to remove them from the office and relocate them into the bedrooom, and she can keep them provided we repaint them.

 This is the smaller bookcase/desk

 Happy desk is happy

So far I've already taken them to the patio, separated the top and bottom sections, and sanded the surfaces of all 4 parts. I'll add pictures as the painting progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment