Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Laptop Bag

 

As you can see the plastic and fabric sides have been sewn together, leaving one side open. This was a lot more difficult than I had planned for, as the plastic isn't stretchy at all, and the knit stretches under its own weight. this led to constant headaches keeping the 2 sides together, as I couldn't pin them together. Making any more holes than absolutely necessary in the plastic would weaken it. I went back to the video and looked for ideas. Of course I missed the part about the bobby pins standing in for sewing pins.

Needless to say, that made things go a lot more smoothly.

After sewing the sides, I turned the whole thing right side out ;


 
Notice I kept the pockets, thought they would be a cool addition.

Stuffing the bag was easier than harder than I thought. Adding the stuffing to the bag and sewing every few inches to keep it  stable was easy, and took less foam than I anticipated. The hard part was the foam. Shipped vacuum-sealed, the foam started expanding immediately after I opened it and spilling everywhere. I tried my best to limit the damage, but now there's a liberal scattering of little foam pieces all over the floor of my workspace.


The inside padding.

I sewed the sides together, checking after one side that the laptop would fit (yes it would) I sewed the remaining side, finally forming a recognizable bag.

Bag.




I hemmed the sides of the flap and I'm almost done. just add a fastener to the flap to close and that's it.



"Recycled" plastic laptop bag.



No comments:

Post a Comment