Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Aviator Headphones Pt. 2

So I had my materials, and it was time to try to figure out how to color the lining. The sheepskin fur was very long and shaggy, which I was initially super stoked about. I though coloring all of it may be an issue, as the base of the strands was very thick and dense. Alternately, the faux sheepskin I got from Joannes was MUCH easier to deal with, but it was polyester, which Rit dye isn't fond of.


Additionally, I still hadn't decided which method to use for coloring the liners; Fabric dye or hair dye. So I decided to experiment with both to see which came out better. I cut 2 bits from the sheepskin and 2 from the faux liner, and separated them into a matrix. Each of the 2 types of lining would be treated with each of the 2 types of coloring.  Like so --->






oops. Sorry Jenn.
I didn't take a picture of the hair dye on the liners, but here's me ruining Jennifer's cooking pot. I thought it was fine after washing it several times, but the next time we used it for pasta, the water was red and I could taste the dye residue, so I trashed it and promised to replace it.






Here's how they turned out. It was obvious that one was the clear winner. I was quite surprised by the results, as the other three combinations failed so completely.



Once dried, the skin side was very wrinkled, but not so much that the total surface area had shrunken significantly. The wool was an awesome crimson color. I was super excited. Now to do it to the other pieces.


I modded a fabric pattern for a hunter/bombers cap from Threadbanger. You can check out the video for that project HERE.  I used to love that site and their video projects, but the original people who ran it aren't there anymore,  and the new ones, while fine crafters, no longer suit my style. Check them out anyway, you might find something you dig.







I cut out all the pieces out of the sheepskin and leather and started sewing them together. I started to become worried that I may have misjudged the necessary seam allowance for this project, as the leather outer shell was becoming increasingly tighter as I was assembling the pieces. By the time I finished the outer leather shell, It barely fit on my skull, and I needed to force it to fit at all. There was no way I could wear this hat as it was, not to mention the massive bulk of the dense skeepskin liner. I considered tearing up up and starting over, or splitting the seams and adding spacing strips. Fortunately Rich offered to pay me to finish the hat as it was, add the faux liner, and sell it to him so he can give it to his girlfriend Kat. I agreed. This was the more labor-intensive option, but it let me recoup some of the costs of the project. I put the shell aside and started over.


The second shell was much better, and there was plenty of room for liner. It was a good thing that Rich wanted the faux liner, because I didn't have enough sheepskin to cut new pieces. I also was out of Dye, so I had to make do with what I had. This introduced a new problem. My original pieces for the sheepskin (already cut, dyed, and dried out) were for the original size of the hat, not the newer, larger version. There was no way I could sew them together and make them fit.

I made my way back to the Leather Factory to consult the experts. They were very patient, but it was clear they were amused by my problem. I was obviously not getting something basic. Finally they asked "why don't you just glue the sheepskin to the leather rather than sew it together? It's so dense no one will notice that they are separate pieces." I honestly hadn't thought of that. I was still thinking about the fabric bomber hat I was basing my pattern on, which was sewn rather than glued. But leather can be glued easily. I bought some leather cement and went home.

I finished my outer shell and carefully glued the sheepskin liner pieces to the inside. This was messy at first, until I thought of reversing the hat and stretching it over one of the leftover pumpkins we never carved. That made things much easier. Once the glue was set and the hat was ready to be modeled, it was clear I had another problem; it didn't fit on my head. The sheepskin was so thick that there was just no room in there for anyone's head, let alone my big skull. Despite my eagerness to keep the long fluffy wool, I was going to have to trim it down. And down. And down some more.

I was still trimming as Jenn was packing for the trip to San Diego for my birthday. I was excited to show off my new project and I was damned if I wasn't going to be able to wear it while I was out there. So I kept trimming it until the damn thing fit. It was still dense and so warm I worried about EVER being able to wear it in Phoenix (did, but I was sweaty the whole time. Worth it, though.).


Ace Combat Pilot "mad" Mike Mcgillicutty
 Here's Mike in San Diego modeling the hat with the aviator goggles. The edges aren't hemmed yet, but you get a really good idea of what it will look like when completed.

Next up...Completing the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment