Sunday, June 6, 2010

Update : Desk Reconstruction COMPLETE

 

So now its time to assemble the nested tables together. The embedded debris in the resin is a pain in the ass, but unless your right up close, you can't really notice it. It's more of a texture issue; the surface isn't smooth and glassy and a bit of a disappointment.



So I got the table tops inside and attached the flange plates to the undersides. There was a moment where I was paranoid that I somehow didn't place the leg blocks correctly on the larger table, but all the screws held tight as I drove them in.


Next the legs went on. The adjustable legs for the smaller table was a great idea, as I realized that the design I wanted set the smaller table juust low enough to barely fit under the larger with the keyboard and mouse in place. 


And here it is. Assembled, work iMacs up and running. I moved my workstation from the darkest corner to the little reading nook the Conservatory has. It's made a huge difference in my mindset while i'm working. Its much sunnier, I can see into the livingroom a bit, so I don't feel too cut off from the rest of the house, and I dont have to get up to throw things at the cats when they decide to sit in the foyer and scream and cry for no apparent reason while I'm on the phone.


A drawback I didn't anticipate as I put my office back together has to do with my chair. I specifically spent weeks searching all over for this particular chair because it folds own when not in use, allowing me to wheel it under the desk. With the new desk, of course, it doesn't fit. Awesome.


All in all, I learned a lot about woodworking, Resincraft (yeh I just made that word up), and the proper use of some power tools. This Project is completed, successfully.


Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment