Saturday, May 1, 2010

Update : Summer Sarong COMPLETE

So the sarongs are completely finished. They were a lot of fun to do, and super easy. I made it more of a challenge by trying to make 4 different sarongs. Since each of the four fabrics were identical in height and length, That meant getting more creative.

As I did research on the types of sarongs, I noticed that they came primarily in two styles; square and tube. Both were ice and both had their own multitude of tying styles.

As I measured the fabric, I worried that I wouldn't like the length. They were just long enough to come down to my ankles before tying, and many tying styles required rolling the fabric up, which would ride the bottom hem up to my mid-calf. The fabric was long enough to cut in half cross-wise and sew the long ends together. This would make a much taller sarong, but narrower.

Considering this I decided to make a Mendel matrix.

Along the top ; long and short cut.
Along the side ; Tube and square.

Each cell would represent a fabric pattern.






Tall / Square : Geisha
This one is nice, but the narrowness of it makes me kind of nervous about it opening up. I'm probably being paranoid about it. Jenn loves this geisha pattern.










Tall / Tube : Koi scales
This one is my favorite pattern. The scales are an awesome color and its not as busy as the dragon print. The length is great for roll-up tying styles. This is the one sarong I have least needed to adjust / retie.





Short / Square : Herons
I like this pattern. It reminds me of the Wheel of Time when I wear it. But most things with herons do that, because I'm an unrepentant nerd. This sarong tends to ride up the most, and its almost like wearing unbifurcated shorts. It's also the one I have to adjust / retie the most often.






Short / Tube : Dragons
This pattern was so insane I had to make something out of it. It's pure awesome, like a shark and he-man high-fiving during a skydive. The tube style allows more varied tying styles, and it lets me do the balinese knot, which I'm learning is often my favorite.





So with the final stitch and this post, this project is successfully COMPLETED!

2 comments:

  1. The sarongs look nice, but you need to be more confident in how you tie them. The parking lot was pretty empty last night, but I would hate to see you have to re-tie your outfit when it is a busy Saturday afternoon at Home Depot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I know. I just need practice.

    ReplyDelete